Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.” – Hippocrates
Eating is for nourishment; it is not the be-all and end-all. If the world has changed, our body and health have changed. How is it possible that our diet has not changed for the past decades? So don’t be stubborn! It is time to change your ways.
Healthy Cooking and Eating Tips – by Dr. E. Comia
Below are some recipes that Dr. Comia would like to share with you.
- Roast Porkloin with Orange
- Kale and Brussel Sprout Salad with Praline
- Roast Chicken with Cardamom and Coconut Yogurt
- Maple Pumpkin Custard
- Moroccan Beef Tagine
- Paleo Apple Cake
- Paleo Egg-Free Shortbread Cookies
- Almond Coconut Pancakes
- Avocado Spinach Bacon Scramble
- Banana Bread GFCF Paleo & SCD-compliant
- Eggplant Basil with Tofu
- Grain-Free and Dairy-Free Eggs Benedict
- Mashed Roasted Cauliflower GF Dairy-free Paleo & SCD-compliant
- Pumpkin Pie GF Dairy-free Paleo & SCD-compliant
- Spinach Potato Sausage Casserole
- Coconut Whipped Cream
- Dairy- Free Chocolate Ganache
- Fudgy DF Avocado Chocolate Pudding
- Doctor Comia’s 5 Step
There are more recipes to come. Please tune-in to this website.
Our sincere gratitude to Katalin Lemasson and Sonia Hunt for sharing their recipes.
HOW TO EAT HEALTHY AND STILL ENJOY THE HOLIDAYS
by Dr. Eileen C. Comia
The holiday season is all about INDULGENCE, whether it is about gifts, parties, and food. So let’s indulge in food the right way! Remember that the healthiest diet in the planet based on scientific data is the low carb ( low sugar), modified ( gluten free and dairy free) Mediterranean diet ( high in good fats).
All we need to do to keep our diet in check is to OUTSMART ourselves. Use your favorite recipe and substitute unhealthy ingredients with healthier options. For example:
1. Replace BUTTER with “Earth Balance” margarine. It is full of “good fats” that let go of “bad fats” in the body. It also raises HDL (good cholesterol) in our blood.
2. Replace MILK with coconut milk or almond/hazelnut milk if baking, or with unsweetened soy milk and coconut milk if cooking. This will bring down your LDL (bad cholesterol), lower triglycerides and total cholesterol. Also use coconut milk yogurt, coconut milk ice cream , soy cream cheese, Daiya dairy free cheese instead of its dairy counterparts.
3. Replace FLOUR with coconut flour and/or almond flour. Not only will this lower triglycerides (excess starch or sugar is stored as triglycerides in liver) it will also bring down sugar in the blood. Remember that any starch, even if gluten free, is still sugar!
4. Replace sugar : For baking use apple sauce, maple syrup, or agave nectar. For cooking use agave nectar, they all have low glycemic index.
5. For alcoholic beverages : use gluten free liquor- Smirnoff and Ciroc vodka, Patron and Jose Cuervo tequila, and Bulleit bourbon are some examples. Sake and brandies are naturally gluten free. If drinking alcohol, drink twice the amount of water to keep up with hydration. Avoid beverages with extra syrup or sugar ( cocktail drinks). Most beers are NOT gluten free. Wine and beer have added sulfites as preservative, so avoid this.